|> Welcome Note
> Dhaka Shishu Hospital
> Department of Microbiology
|> Diagnostic Microbiology
> Prevention of Childhood Infectious Diseases
|> Clinical Trails
|> Contribution to Global Child Health Policy
> Contribution to National Child Health Policy
|Friends & Collaborators
An Overview of Department of Microbiology,
Dhaka Shishu Hospital
The long-escaped killer
pneumoADIP Sponsored Activities in Bangladesh
Publications of the Department
The department has more than 40 publications in peer reviewed international journals. In most of these publications, Department of Microbiology of Dhaka Shishu Hospital took the lead and named itself as the place of correspondence. A list of important selected publications is given below:
1. Abdullah H Baqui, Shams El Arifeen, Samir K Saha, LarsAke Persson, K Zaman, Bradford D. Gessner, Lawrence H. Moulton, Robert E Black and Mathuram Santosham Effectiveness of Haemophilus influenzae type b conjugate vaccine on prevention of pneumonia and meningitis in Bangladeshi children. Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 2007 Vol 26 (7)
2. Saha SK, Baqui AH, Arifeen SE, et al. Detection of antigenuria for diagnosis of invasive Haemophilus influenzae type b disease. Ann Trop Dis. 2006; 26: 329-336.
3. Saha SK, Darmstadt GL, Baqui AH, Crook DW, Islam N, Islam M, Hossain M, Arifeen SE, Santosham M, E Black RE. Highly Ciprofloxacin-resistant Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi in Bangladesh: molecular basis of resistance. J Clin Microbiol, 2006 ; 44:3811-3833.
4. Hoque M, Ahmed ASMU, Chowdhury MAKA1, Darmstadt GL, and Saha SK. Septicemic neonates without lumber puncture: what are we missing? Journal of Tropical Pediatrics. 2006 52(1):63-65
5. Saha SK, Darmstadt GL, Yamanaka N, Billal DS, Nasreen T, Islam M, Hamer DH. Rapid diagnosis of pneumococcal meningitis: implications for treatment and measuring disease burden. Pediatr Infect Dis 2005. 24(12):1093-1098
6. Darmstadt GL, Saha SK, Ahmed ASMU, Chowdhury MAKA, Law PA, Ahmed S, Alam MA, Black RE and Santosham M. Topical therapy with skin barrier-enhancing emollients prevents nosocomial infections in preterm infants in Bangladesh: a randomized, controlled clinical trial. Lancet 2005; 365:1039-45
7. Saha SK, Baqui AH, Darmstadt GL, Ruhul A, Hanif M, Arifeen EL, Oishi K, Santosham M, Nagatake T and Black RE. Invasive Haemophilus influenzae type b diseases in Bangladesh, with increased resistance to antibiotics. Journal of Pediatrics. 2005; 146:227-233.
8. Saha SK, Baqui AH, Darmstadt GL, RuhulAmin M, Hanif M, Arifeen SE, Santosham M, Oishi K, Nagatake T, Black RE. Comparison of Antibiotic Resistance and Serotype Composition of Carriage and Invasive Pneumococci among Bangladeshi Children: Implications for treatment policy and vaccine formulation. J Clin Microbiology. 2003; 41: 5582-7.
9. Zaki MH, Darmstadt GL, Baten A, Ahsan CR, Saha SK. Seroepidemiology of hepatitis B and delta virus infections in Bangladesh. J Trop Pediatr. 2003; 49:371-4.
10. Saha SK, Darmstadt GL, Hanif M, Khan R. Seroepidamiology of varicella-zoster virus in Bangladesh. Annals of Tropical Paediatrics. 2002; 22:341-345.
11. Darmstadt GL, Saha SK. Traditional practice of oil massage of neonates in Bangladesh. Journal of Health Population Nutrition. 2002; 22:184-188.
12. Saha SK, Darmstadt GL, Baqui AH, Hanif M, Ruhulamin M, Santosham M, Nagatake T, Black RE. "Rapid Identification and Antibiotic Susceptibility Testing of Salmonella typhi Isolated from Blood: Implications for therapy". Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2001, 39(10):3583-5.
13. Saha SK, Baqui AH, Hanif M, Gary DL, Ruhulamin M, Nagatake T, Santosham, M,Black, RE. "Typhoid fever in Bangladesh: Implication for vaccination policy. Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 2001;20(5):521-4.
14. Saha SK, Talukder SY, Islam M, Saha, S. A highly cefriaxone resistant Salmonella typhi in Bangladesh. Pediatric Infectious Diseases Journal. 1999; 18(3): 387.
15. Saha SK, Sack RB, Matsumoto K, Nagatake T. Determination of penicillin resistance in Streptococcus penumoniae and use of co-trimoxazole in treatment of pneumococcal pneumonia. Journal of Clinical Microbiology. 1999; 37:2743-2744
16. Saha SK, Rikitomi N, Ruhulamin M, Masaki H, Hanif M, Islam M, Watanabe K et al. Antimicrobial resistance and serotype distribution of Streptococcus pneumoniae strains causing childhood infections in Bangladesh, 1993-1997. Journal of Clinical Microbiology. 1999; 37:798-800.
17. Kalter HD, Hossain M, Burnham G, Khan NZ, Saha SK, Ali MA, Black RE. Validation of caregiver interviews to diagnose common causes of severe neonatal illness. Paediatric Perinatal Epidemiology 1999; 13(1): 99-113.
18. Utsunomiya Y, Ahmed K, Rikitomi N, Ruhulamin M, Hanif M, Masaki H, Kawakami, Watanabe K, Saha SK, Nagatake T. Isolation of pathogenic bacteria from induced sputum from hospitalized children with pneumonia in Bangladesh. Journal of Tropical Pediatrics. 1998; 44:338-342.
19. Saha SK, Rikitomi N, Biswas D, et al. Serotypes of Streptococcus pneumoniae causing invasive childhood infections in Bangladesh, 1992 to 1995. Journal of Clinical Microbiology. 1997; 35:785-787.
20. Saha SK, Saha Setarunnahar, Ruhulamin M, Hanif M, Islam Maksuda. Decreasing trend of multiresistant Salmonella typhi in Bangladesh. Journal of Antimicrobiol Chemotherapy. 1997; 39: 554-556.
21. Saha SK, Rikitomi N, Ruhulamin M, et. al. The increasing burden of disease in Bangladeshi children due to H. influenzae type b meningitis. Annals of Tropical Paediatrics. 1997;17:5-8.
22. Kalter HD, Schillinger JA, Hossain M, Burnham G, Saha SK, Wit V, Khan NZ, Schwartz B, Black RE. Identifying sick children requiring referral to hospital in Bangladesh. Bulletin of World Health Organization, 1997, 75 (Supplement 1) 65-75.
23. Kalter HD, Burnham G, Kolstad PR, Hossain M, Schillinger JA, Khan NZ, Saha SK, Wit V, N. Kenya-Mugisha, Schwartz B, Black RE. Bulletin of World Health Organization, 1997, 75 (Supplement 1) 103-111.
24. Hermans PWM, Saha SK, Leeuwen WJ. et al. Molecular typing of Salmonella typhi strains from Dhaka (Bangladesh) and development of DNA probes identifying plasmid-encoded multidrug-resistant isolates. Journal of Clinical Microbiology. 1996; 34:1373-1379.
25. Saha SK, Ruhulamin M. Hanif, Islam M. Khan WA, 1996. Interpretation of the widal test in the diagnosis of typhoid fever Bangladeshi children. Annals of Tropical Paediatrics. 1996: 16:75-78.
26. Khan NZ, Kalter H, Hanif M, Schillinger J, Saha SK, Black R. Meningitis treatment without follow-up: what we are missing? Lancet 346: 706
27. Saha SK, Hanif M. Khan WA, Dilruba Rahaman, Naila Khan, Hoq MS, Sarwardi G. 1994. Fatal sepsis due to Pseudomonas cepacia. Singapore Medical Journal. 5: 475-476.
28. Saha SK, Hanif M, Dutta P. Chowdhury MF, 1994. Emergence of High level Fluroquinolone Resistant Escherichia coli in Bangladesh. International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents. 4:1-3.
29. Saha SK, Saha SK, 1994. Antibiotic resistance of Salmonella typhi in Bangladesh. Journal Antimicrobiol Chemother. 33:190-191.
30. Saha SK, Khan WA, Saha S. 1992. Blood cultures from Bangladeshi children with septicaemia : an evaluation of conventional, lysis direct plating and lysis centrifugation methods. Transactions of Royal Society of Tropical Medicine.and Hygiene. 86: 554 556.
31. Saha SK, Saha S, Sanyal SC. 1991. Recovery of injured Campylobacter jejuni cells after animal passage. Applied Environmental.Microbiology. 57(11): 3388 3389.
32. Saha SK, Khan WA, Hoq MS, et. al. 1991. Penicillin resistant pneumococci in Bangladeshi children. Lancet. 337: 734 735.
33. Saha SK, Sanyal SC, 1991. Better preservation of Campylobacter jejuni/C. coli in a defined medium. Indian Journal of Medical Research. 93 26 28.
34. Saha SK, Sanyal SC, 1990. Production and characterisation of Campylobacter enterotoxin in a synthetic medium and its assay in rat ileal loops. FEMS Microbiol. Lett. 67: 333 338.
35. Saha SK, Sanyal SC. 1989. Better growth of Campylobacter jejuni using simple fortner's principle and candle extinction jar. Indian Journal of Medical Research 89: 24 27.
36. Saha SK, Sing NP, Sanyal SC. 1988. Enterotoxicity of chicken isolates of Campylobacter jejuni in ligated ileal loops of rats. Journal of Medical Microbiology. 26(2): 87 91.
© Copyright 2008, Department of Microbiology, Dhaka Shishu Hospital | All rights reserved